Ria Winters is a Dutch researcher, illustrationist and writer. She specializes in natural history and travel.
Her hometown is Amersfoort, Netherlands
Besides writing and painting, she works at the University of Amsterdam.
- South Africa
- U.S.A. several parks and states
- Svalbard (Spitsbergen)
- New Zealand
Publications and illustrations:
- Exotische dieren in historisch Amsterdam, Amsterdam University Press 2017.
- A famine in Surat in 1631 and Dodos on Mauritius:a long lost manuscript rediscovered. Edinburgh University Press 2017.
- Captive birds on Dutch Mauritius: bad-tempered parrots, warty pigeons and notes on other native animals. Historical Biology 2015.
- The dodo, the deer and a 1647 voyage to Japan.Historical Biology 2015.
- Illustrations in 'Reizen tussen de lijnen' (by Alexander Reeuwijk), Atlas 2013
- A Treasury of endemic fauna of Mauritius and Rodrigues, Christian le Comte Publisher 2011.
- Illustration in magazine 'Vogels' of the Dutch Bird Protection, 2012
- Column "Passion" in Folia Civitatis of the University of Amsterdam, 2012
- Annual book Art of Conservation: Report of Expedition to Mauritius - 2010
- Parrot Magazine: 'Spix's macaws' - 2009
- Parrot Companion Magazine: Highlight of Parrot Art - 2006
- Wildlife Magazine Ukraine: Article about the Andean Condor - 2005
In 2009 she was granted a fellowship of the Artists for Conservation Foundation to make flag expedition to Mauritius.
More information about this journey is on the projectpage of her other website www.parrotsinart.com.
To view the handwritten jounal of this expedition please go to Handwritten journal.
Her first book 'A Treasury of endemic fauna of Mauritius and Rodrigues' was published in 2011.
It is available at:
- the museum bookshop of the 'Special Collections' of the University of
Amsterdam, Oude Turfmarkt 129, Amsterdam
- the Artis Library, Plantage Middenlaan 45, Amsterdam
- Algemene boekhandel, Leusderweg, Amersfoort
- the Blue Penny Museum in Port Louis, Mauritius.
Her second book (in Dutch) 'Exotische dieren in historisch Amsterdam' was
published in 2017 and is available in Amsterdam's major bookstores.
Main art exhibitions:
- International Parrot Symposium, Tenerife - 2014
- 'Erik of het klein insectenboek' - Naturalis Biodiversity Center, NL - 2013
- 'Artists for Conservation' - Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, Canada(group) - 2012
- Artis library, Amsterdam (solo) - 2012
- Blue Penny Museum - Port Louis, Mauritius (duo) - 2011/2012
- 'L'Animal dans l'Art '- Paris (group) - 2009, 2010, 2011
- 'Van Texel tot Mauritius' - Galerie Oog voor Natuur, NL (trio) - 2010
- 'Artists for Conservation'- Hiram Blauvelt Museum, NJ (group) - 2009
- 'Art and the Animal' - Neville Public Museum, WI (group) - 2008
- 'Art und Vielfalt' - Museum fur Naturkunde Magdeburg, Germany (group) - 2008
- 'Small works, big impressions' - The Wildlife Experience, CO (group) - 2007
- 'Art and the Animal' - The Wildlife Experience, CO (group) - 2007
- 'Birds in Art' - Leigh Yawkey Woodson Museum of Art, WI (group) - 2006
- 'Art and the Animal' - Nevada State Museum (group) - 2005
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org