Ria Winters is a Dutch historian, writer and artist.
Her artistic career started off with drawing and painting and was later complimented by an academic history
study, which lead to several publications. Ria combines her authorship and artistry
with her day job at the University museum Allard Pierson at the University of Amsterdam.
Publications and illustrations:
Her subjects are natural history and travel in early modern time with a special interest in the Indian Ocean and South Africa.
She is an avid traveller and uses photography as a visual memory. Ria and her family reside in the Dutch town of Amersfoort.
- Exotische dieren in historisch Amsterdam, Amsterdam University Press 2017
- A famine in Surat in 1631 and Dodos on Mauritius: a long lost manuscript rediscovered. Edinburgh University Press 2017.
- Captive birds on Dutch Mauritius: bad-tempered parrots, warty pigeons and notes on other native animals. Historical Biology 2015.
- The dodo, the deer and a 1647 voyage to Japan, Historical Biology 2015
- Illustrations in 'Reizen tussen de lijnen' (by Alexander Reeuwijk), Atlas 2013
- A Treasury of endemic fauna of Mauritius and Rodrigues, Christian le Comte Publisher 2011
- Illustration in magazine 'Vogels' of the Dutch Bird Protection, 2012
- Column 'Passion' in Folia Civitatis of the University of Amsterdam, 2012
- Annual book Art of Conservation: Report of Expedition to Mauritius - 2010
- Parrot Magazine: 'Spix's macaws' - 2009
- Parrot Companion Magazine: Highlight of Parrot Art - 2006.
Her first book A Treasury of endemic fauna of Mauritius and Rodrigues was published in 2011.
It is available at:
- the museumshop of the University of Amsterdam, Oude Turfmarkt 129, Amsterdam
- the Artis Library, Plantage Middenlaan 45, Amsterdam
- Algemene boekhandel, Leusderweg, Amersfoort
- the Blue Penny Museum in Port Louis, Mauritius.
Her second book (in Dutch) Exotische dieren in historisch Amsterdam was
published in 2017 and is available in Amsterdam's major bookstores.
Main art exhibitions:
- 'Exotische dieren in historisch Amsterdam', University Library, Amsterdam - 2017
- International Parrot Symposium, Tenerife - 2014
- 'Erik of het klein insectenboek' - Naturalis Biodiversity Center, NL - 2013
- 'Artists for Conservation' - Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, Canada(group) - 2012
- Artis library, Amsterdam (solo) - 2012
- Blue Penny Museum - Port Louis, Mauritius (duo) - 2011/2012
- 'L'Animal dans l'Art '- Paris (group) - 2009, 2010, 2011
- 'Artists for Conservation'- Hiram Blauvelt Museum, NJ (group) - 2009
- 'Art and the Animal' - Neville Public Museum, WI (group) - 2008
- 'Art und Vielfalt' - Museum fur Naturkunde Magdeburg, Germany (group) - 2008
- 'Small works, big impressions' - The Wildlife Experience, CO (group) - 2007
- 'Art and the Animal' - The Wildlife Experience, CO (group) - 2007
- 'Birds in Art' - Leigh Yawkey Woodson Museum of Art, WI (group) - 2006.
For further information please contact email@example.com